How to Burn Resin Incense with Charcoal Tablets
What is Resin Incense?
Resin incense is incense in it's most pure and natural form. Resins are harvested from the sap, bark roots or wood of trees, shrubs and plants. Frankincense, Myrrh, Benzoin, Copal, Dragon's Blood, Palo Santo, and Styrax are among the most well know resins and often times the building blocks for aromatic resin incense blends.
Interested in making your own incense?
Checkout this book: Making Your Own Incense
How to Burn Resin Incense
Unlike traditional incense sticks, resin will not burn on its own.
- Resin Incense
- Charcoal Tablets
- Charcoal Burner
- Rocks or Sand
- Tongs or Spoon
- Ceramic Coaster or Tile (recommended)
There are many techniques for burning resin incense, this is just one of many. Resins will not burn on their own, at minimum they require charcoal tablets and a charcoal incense burner.
- Fill your charcoal burner 3/4 full with sand or rocks to absorb some of the heat. Then place your burner on a heat resistant surface, such as a ceramic coaster or tile, as the bottom of the burner will become very hot and may result in damage to your surface.
- Using tongs to hold the charcoal tablet, light it following the instructions provided with your charcoal. Place the hot charcoal onto the bed of sand inside your charcoal burner or onto the mesh screen if you burner has one (I prefer to flip the mesh screen so it creates a bowl-like shape). Allow the charcoal 5-15 minutes to fully come to temperature indicated by a layer of ash forming on the tablet.
- Using a metal spoon, add a very small amount of resin on top of the hot charcoal releasing the fragrant incense smoke. Repeat as desired until the charcoal is exhausted.
- When finished, allow the charcoal to completely cool in the burner before discarding. When in doubt, dowse it with water.
CAUTION: At no time should you touch the charcoal tablet once lit or attempt to move the charcoal burner. Both will be very hot and will burn you. Do not leave burning charcoal or burning incense unattended. Allow for proper air ventilation in the room where you are burning incense.
DO NOT EAT. NOT INTENDED FOR CONSUMPTION.
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN AND PETS.
Soul Niche is not responsible for result of improper use.